4645 Reservoir Rd NW
District Of Columbia
On Friday, February 21, celebrate Carnival on German soil with a special taste of German culture and a unique touch of the Cologne Carnival (Kölner Karneval)) festivities! Don you most festive Carnival outfits or masquerade and ring in this joyous season with the German spirit as they are celebrating simultaneously throughout Germany, and especially in Cologne.
As you enter this newly renovated embassy, known by architecture lovers as a Washington highlight of the modernist style, we will visit one of the most admired countries in Europe. Experience a true Cologne Carnival night of German Food, German Open Bar, Live German/ Carnival Dance Show (with Lessons), Characters, Comedy, Late Night DJ, and Dancing, Film and More!
1) COLOGNE CARNIVAL CUISINE AND OPEN BAR: Experience a delicious buffet of German delicacies. Also, celebrate with an array of the finest German Karneval beer and wine!
2) LIVE COLOGNE CARNIVAL DANCE PRESENTATION: Taking center stage, dressed in German/Carnival Style, we will marvel at a fantastic presentation set to classic and modern German Carnival favorites. Following the show, the dancers will offer an optional lessons to keep you dancing as they are in Cologne.
3) DIPLOMATIC GREETING: We will be welcomed by a high-ranking member of the Embassy. Later, mix and mingle with invited German diplomats.
4) DJ & DANCING: One of Washington’s greatest DJs takes us via music to the hottest nightclubs of Berlin, Munich and Cologne – playing German and U.S. Retro, Modern High Energy, and Top 40 Dance hits!
5) MOVIE: To quench your thirst for German travel and cultural interests, partake in a viewing of the scenery, culture and people of Germany during the Carnival season!
6) CARNIVAL COSTUME CONTEST: If you arrive in Carnival wear, a special costume contest will be held – with German judges! Prizes awarded!
(Note: Costumes of a salacious, political, historically controversial, nature, or any that contains weapons will not be permitted on embassy grounds).
6) CARNIVAL SURPRISES: Be on the lookout for all sorts of surprises, including some live comedy AND appearance by a Carnival Jester!
7) WIN CARIBBEAN TRIP: A special drawing will be held for a trip to the Caribbean (plane and hotel).
Note: This is primarily a stand up, buffet style reception with limited seating throughout the evening.
NOTE: This event is a lively, active Karenval Celebration with limited to no seating. Unlike some other embassy events, it is not a formal conservative sit down evening. Plan for a lot of dancing, laughter and very active celebration – as they do in Germany!
Karenval Costume and/or Masquerade Style Preferred! Otherwise Dress to Impress! (No weapons or costumes with items resembling weapons are permitted). Casual wear – such as jeans, sneakers, tee shirts – are not permitted.